- 2 * GE LM2500 turbines
- 2 shafts
- OYQ-13 ACDS
- FCS-3A AAW system
- OPY-1 AAW system
- OQQ-24 ASW system
- OQR-4 Towed sonar array system
- NOLQ-3D-2 EW system
- OPS-48 surface search radar
- 1 * Mk. 45 Mod 4 127 mm (5 in)/62 gun
- 8 * Type 90 Anti-ship missile in quad canisters
- 2 * 20 mm Phalanx Block1B CIWS
- 2 * HOS-303 triple 324 mm (12.8 in) torpedo tubes
- Anti-torpedo System
- 32-cell Mk. 41 Vertical launching system
- RIM-162 ESSM SAM
- RUM-139 VL-ASROC
- Type 07 VL-ASROC
- 1 * SH-60K helicopter
JS Shiranui (DD-120) is the second ship of the Asahi-class destroyer of the Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force. Her namesake came from the optical phenomenon called Shiranui, or «Phosphorescent Light».
The procurement of the destroyer began in 2013 in response to the reduction in the number of destroyers (namely the Hatsuyuki class) within the JMSDF. The two major characteristics of this destroyer is its bigger emphasis on anti-submarine warfare and the adoption of the COGLAG (combined gas turbine electric and gas turbine) propulsion system. A second destroyer was procured a year later.
She was laid down on 20 May 2016 and launched on 12 October 2017. Commissioned on 27 February 2019 with the hull number DD-120.