- 2 * Ishikawajima Harima LM-2500 gas turbines
- 2 * Kawasaki Rolls Royce Spey SM1C gas turbines
- Total 60,000 shp (45 MW)
- 2 * shafts
- OPS-25B Radar
- OPS-28D Surface Search Radar
- OPS-20 Navigational Radar
- OQS-5 Sonar
- UQR-2 Towed Sonar
- Type 81 Fire Control System
- NOLQ-3 ECM system
- 4 * Mk137 chaff dispensers
- 1 * Otobreda 127 mm/54 gun
- 2 * missile canister up to 8 Type 90 (SSM-1B)
- 2 * 20 mm Phalanx CIWS
- 2 * Type 68 triple torpedo tubes
- VLS Mk 41 (32 cells)
- Evolved Sea Sparrow SAM
- RUM-139 VL ASROC
- 1 * SH-60J(K) anti-submarine helicopter
JS Sazanami is the fourth vessel of the Takanami class destroyers of the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF).
The hull design is generally based on the one of the Murasame-class. However, as a part of weapons was changed, the internal structure has also been changed. And it was said that the large lattice mast was degrading its stealthiness in the Murasame-class, so in this class, it was considered to change to two small masts, but it was not implemented.
Although its displacement become slightly increased, there is no change in its main engines, as it is not a big difference that has little effect on the performance of the ship.
Sazanami was authorized under the Medium-term Defense Buildup Plan of 1996, and was built by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries shipyards in Nagasaki. She was laid down on 4 April 2002, launched on 29 August 2003. She was commissioned into service on 16 February 2005. and was initially assigned to the JMSDF Escort Flotilla 2 based at Sasebo.