- 4 * diesel generators Isotta Fraschini VL1716T2ME (1,680 KW each)
- 2 * power stations
- 2 * GE/Avio LM2500 Gas Turbine Engines 20.5 MW each
- 2 * SEMT Pielstick 12 PA6 STC Diesel Engines 4.32 MW each
- 2 * Variable pitch propellers
- 1 * Bow thruster
- Surface search radar in E/F band Selex RAN 30X/I (RASS)
- Multi-functional 3D phased array radar in G band Selex SPY-790 (EMPAR) (Principal sensor of PAAMS)
- Long Range 3D Radar in D band Thales/Selex S1850M
- Secondary Surveillance Radar Selex SIR R/S
- Navigation and Helo decking radar in I band Selex SPN 753(V)4 (NAVR)
- 2 * Multi-Sensor target indiction system NA 25X (Radar and electro-optical sensor RTN-30X)
- Bispectral IR detection and tracking system Sagem Vampir MB (IRAS)
- ESM System SLQ-750 made-up by a WB (Wideband) receiver and 2 HSFA (Superheterodyne) receivers
- Medium frequency hull sonar Thales UMS 4110CL
- Electronic Warfare (Nettuno 4100):
- 2 * Radar Jammers
- 2 * Oto Melara SCLAR-H decoys launcher system for chaff and flares
- Anti-torpedo system SLAT:
- Low frequency towed array sonar
- 2 * acoustic decoy launchers, WASS (Leonardo)
- 3 * Oto Melara 76/62 mm Super-Rapid guns (ILDS, updated to Strales version since 2018)
- 2 * Oto Melara Oerlikon KBA 25/80 mm guns
- 2 * SITEP LRAD MASS CS-424 acoustic guns (since 2018)
- 2 * EuroTorp torpedo tubes B515/1 with semi-automatic handling system for MU 90 lightweight torpedoes
- PAAMS (Principal Anti-Air Missile System) 6 * DCNS Vertical Launch System Sylver A50 modules with 48 cells for MBDA short range Aster 15 or medium range Aster 30 missiles + fitted for 16 cells additional
- fitted for 8 S/S Teseo Mk2/A missile launchers
- 1 or 2 * AgustaWestland AW101 or
- 1 or 2 * NHIndustries NH90 armed with MU90 torpedoes or Marte Mk2/S A/S missiles
Andrea Doria is a destroyer of the Italian Navy. She and her sister Caio Duilio form the Andrea Doria class; in turn these two ships, and the French vessels Forbin and Chevalier Paul, belong to the Horizon class. Andrea Doria has the hull number D 553 according to NATO classification.
Andrea Doria is a multirole ship, with a bias towards anti-aircraft warfare (the ship has an increased capacity in this type of warfare over older destroyers) and short and medium defence range capabilities. She is also highly capable in anti-submarine and anti-surface warfare.
The ship has been designed to take and operate with rotorcraft (AW101 and NH-90) of much higher performance and more autonomy than previous generation helicopters. The handling of wheeled helicopters on the flight deck is guaranteed up to sea state 6 by the semi-automatic Canadian system TC-ASIST of Indal Technologies, committing to these operations a single operator.
Andrea Doria is able to cover a broad spectrum of maritime activities, ranging from high-intensity military operations to maritime security operations. The missions that the unit can perform are:
- Escort role in an aircraft carrier battle group or naval convoy;
- Command and control of joint and combined maritime operations in all forms of aeronaval warfare;
- Naval Command in support or integrated in the National Air Defense organization;
- Relief operations in case of natural disasters, crisis response and humanitarian operations;
- Counter-piracy operations.
The ship was designed to be as little detectable by radar as possible, by using stealth technology for the hull and superstructure. Sea-keeping in unfavorable weather conditions is granted by two pairs of stabilizers.
The acoustic signature was also reduced with an appropriate choice of machinery and engineering solutions and verifying the intensity of the radiated noise, since the design phase. Equal attention has been directed in the infrared (IR) signature branch, by lowering the temperature of engine gases through coaxial exhausts.