- 2 * General Electric LM2500-30 gas turbines generating 41,000 shp (31 MW) through a single shaft and variable pitch propeller
- 2 * Auxiliary Propulsion Units, 350 hp (260 kW) retractable electric azimuth thrusters for manoeuvring and docking
- AN/SPS-49 air-search radar
- AN/SPS-55 surface-search radar
- CAS and STIR fire-control radar
- AN/SQS-56 sonar
- 1 * OTO Melara Mk 75 76 mm/62 caliber naval gun
- 2 * Mk 32 triple-tube (324 mm) launchers for Mark 46 torpedoes
- 1 * Vulcan Phalanx CIWS
- 4 * .50-cal (12.7 mm) machine guns.
- 1 * Mk 13 Mod 4 single-arm launcher for Harpoon anti-ship missiles and SM-1MR Standard anti-ship/air missiles (40 round magazine)
- 2 * SH-60 LAMPS III helicopter
USS Hawes (FFG-53) is a later model Oliver Hazard Perry-class guided missile frigate. She is named for Rear admiral Richard E. Hawes (1894–1968) who was twice decorated with the Navy Cross for submarine salvage operations. She was the frigate long-hull variant (Flight II). The contract to build Hawes was awarded to Bath Iron Works, Bath, Maine, 22 May 1981, and her keel was laid 26 August 1983. She was launched 18 February 1984; sponsored by Mrs. Ruth H. Watson, widow of the late Rear Adm. Hawes; delivered 1 February 1985, and commissioned 9 February 1985, Commander Thomas F. Madden in command.