- 2 * General Electric LM2500-30 gas turbines generating 41,000 shp (31 MW) through a single shaft and variable pitch propeller
- 2 * Auxiliary Propulsion Units, 350 hp (260 kW) retractable electric azimuth thrusters for manoeuvring and docking
- AN/SPS-49 air-search radar
- AN/SPS-55 surface-search radar
- CAS and STIR fire-control radar
- AN/SQS-56 sonar
- 1 * OTO Melara Mk 75 76 mm/62 caliber naval gun
- 2 * Mk 32 triple-tube (324 mm) launchers for Mark 46 torpedoes
- 1 * Vulcan Phalanx CIWS
- 4 * .50-cal (12.7 mm) machine guns.
- 1 * Mk 13 Mod 4 single-arm launcher for Harpoon anti-ship missiles and SM-1MR Standard anti-ship/air missiles (40 round magazine)
- 1 * SH-60 LAMPS III helicopter
USS Crommelin (FFG-37), twenty-eighth ship of the Oliver Hazard Perry-class of guided missile frigates, was named for five brothers: Rear Admiral John G. Crommelin (1902–1996), Vice Admiral Henry Crommelin (1904–1971), Commander Charles L. Crommelin (1909–1945), Lieutenant Commander Richard Crommelin (1917–1945), and Captain Quentin C. Crommelin (1919–1997). The Crommelin brothers were the only group of five siblings ever to graduate from the United States Naval Academy. Four of them became pilots, and Time magazine dubbed them «The Indestructibles.» The brothers saw action in more than ten campaigns in the Pacific Theater. Henry, the second-oldest, became a Surface Warfare Officer while Richard and Charles died in combat as naval aviators in 1945. Individually and as a fighting family, they gained fame in World War II, attaining outstanding combat records and multiple decorations. Crommelin (FFG-37) is the first ship of that name in the United States Navy.
Ordered from Todd Pacific Shipyard, Seattle, Washington on 27 April 1979 as part of the Fiscal year 1979 program, Crommelin was laid down on 30 May 1980, launched on 2 July 1981, and commissioned on 18 June 1983. She was the frigate long-hull variant (Flight II).