- 2 * General Electric LM2500-30 gas turbines generating 41,000 shp (31 MW) through a single shaft and variable pitch propeller
- 2 * Auxiliary Propulsion Units, 350 hp (260 kW) retractable electric azimuth thrusters for maneuvering and docking
- AN/SPS-49 air-search radar
- AN/SPS-55 surface-search radar
- CAS and STIR fire-control radar
- AN/SQS-56 sonar
- 1 * OTO Melara Mk 75 76 mm/62 caliber naval gun
- 2 * Mk 32 triple-tube (324 mm) launchers for Mark 46 torpedoes
- 1 * Vulcan Phalanx CIWS
- 4 * .50-cal (12.7 mm) machine guns.
- 1 * Mk 13 Mod 4 single-arm launcher for Harpoon anti-ship missiles and SM-1MR Standard anti-ship/air missiles (40 round magazine)
- 1 * SH-60 LAMPS III helicopter
USS Underwood (FFG-36) was the twenty-seventh ship of the Oliver Hazard Perry-class of guided missile frigates, named for Captain Gordon Waite Underwood (1910–1978). Ordered from Bath Iron Works, Bath, Maine, on 27 April 1979 as part of the FY79 program, Underwood was laid down on 30 July 1981, launched on 6 February 1982, and commissioned on 29 January 1983. She was assigned to Destroyer Squadron 14 and homeported at Mayport, FL. She was the frigate long-hull variant (Flight II).