- 4 * MTU 20V 1163 diesel-engines
- 2 * shafts
- 2 * controllable pitch propellers
- 30,000 hp (22,000 kW)
- TM 1126 radar
- AWS-6 radar
- HSA D08 radar
- HSA STIR 124 radar
- SQS-56 sonar
- Rapid/Rameses suite
- Mk 36 decoy
- 2 * 4 Mk 141 Launcher for RGM-84 Harpoon
- 1 * MK 21 Guided Missile Launching System for 16 * RIM-7 Sea Sparrow
- 1 * 5 inch /54 gun
- 3 * Oerlikon Contraves Sea Zenith 25 mm CIWS gun systems
- 2 * 3 12.75 in Mk.32 torpedo tubes
- 1 * AB 212 ASW helicopter
- Helicopter pad
The Yavuz class are a group of four frigates that were built for the Turkish Navy. They were designed in Germany and are part of the MEKO family of modular warships; in this case the MEKO 200 design. Two ships were built in Germany and two in Turkey with German assistance. They are similar in design to the larger Barbaros-class frigates of the Turkish Navy, which are improved versions of the Yavuz-class frigate.
The Turkish Navy has an ongoing procurement project for an Electronic Warfare Suite. The intent is to locally produced the ECM, ECCM systems, active decoys, LWRs, IRST and the necessary user interface systems.
An order for ships was signed by the Turkish government in April 1983 for two MEKO frigates to be built in Germany and two to be built in Turkey.