- 2 * General Electric LM2500-30 gas turbines generating 41,000 shp (31 MW) through a single shaft and variable pitch propeller
- 2 * Auxiliary Propulsion Units, 350 hp (260 kW) retractable electric azimuth thrusters for maneuvering and docking
Бойові сили та засоби
- AN/SPS-49 2-D air search radar
- RAN-12L (being replaced by RAN-30) low horizon air search radar for Meroka CIWS
- AN/SPS-55 surface search and navigation radar
- Mk 92 Guided Missile Fire Control System
- AN/SPG-60 Separate Target Illumination Radar (STIR) Missile Control Radar
- AN/SQQ-89 Anti-Submarine Warfare System
- AN/SQS-56 active/passive sonar
- AN/SQR-19 TACTASS Tactical Towed Array Sonar System
- EN/SLQ-610 Nettunel electronic countermeasures unit
- SLQ-25 Nixie torpedo decoy
- Mk-36 SRBOC chaff & decoy launchers
- 1 * Mk-13 single-arm Missile Launcher
- with a 40-round underdeck magazine for a mix of
- RIM-66 Standard Missile SM-1MR
- or RGM-84 Harpoon SSM
- 1 * Oto-Melara 76/62 gun (3 inches / 62-caliber)
- 2 * Mk-32 12.75" (324mm) triple torpedo tubes for Mk-46 / Mod.5 torpedoes
- 1 * FABA Meroka 20mm CIWS
- 2 * Sikorsky SH-60 Seahawk LAMPS III
The Santa María class of frigates is the Spanish Navy's designation for six locally built warships based on the United States Oliver Hazard Perry-class frigates.
Built in two batches, the second batch units (F-85 and 86) received some improvements, such as an improved combat-data system, updated SPS-49 and SQR-19 sets, and a new Meroka mount. The Mk92 Mod 6 CORT replaced the previous Mod 4, providing better capabilities against sea-skimming missiles. The electronic warfare suite was also updated.
Spanish ships have a slightly bigger beam and were built with a greater weight reserve for future improvements. Other changes from the basic model include Meroka replacing Phalanx and a RAN-12L air search radar to provide low horizon coverage against sea skimmers cueing the Meroka CIWS mount. The Nettunel EW suite (based on the Italian Nettuno built in Spain) replaced the SLQ-32 system fitted aboard US ships.
The class is currently receiving a mid-life update (MLU), including a new EW suite, improved combat-data system, an upgrade of the Mk92 FCS, new electrical generators, the removal of the SQR-19 TACTASS towed array and habitability improvements. Four ships have already been modernized.